Tuesday, February 14, 2012

An unconventional valentine Story

This is the first time I felt it worthwhile to post someone's article on my blog. A must read :)


Splash story winners…
This story won the third prize. But it simply deserves the first place. Truly amazing.
Do take sum time to read it. An unconventional valentine story…

Third Place - Prathama Plakkatt

Valentine’s Day is not just for the young or for lovers. It’s the day we celebrate love with person whom we love most and whom we want in our life forever! This fictitious story is about one such person.

Prakriti, as I am called, was born to a single mother but it was when I grew up that I realized the stigma attached to it. So we both went far away from the people who knew us and whom we knew to started life anew, me as student and mom as a teacher. As time flew by, I had become a successful pediatrician, on the way, achieving a state and university ranks and many accolades!

One day as I was at work, I got a call from mom asking me if I can come home a bit early than usual. I felt something amiss as mom never called me during work hours. I immediately applied for an emergency leave and left for home.

The moment I saw her, I rushed to her and hugged her. I felt her softness – she was so soft, her skin full of wrinkles and her warmth had unlimited love – love that you can receive from no other than a mother! I wanted her hug for a long long time, I never wanted her to take her hands off me, but then she pulled me back and took me to her room. In all these years that I was striving for my achievement I had never once gone into her room. But after all these years, I felt like I was entering a museum – that had every single memory, every single achievement, the simplest of the simple beauties of my life!

My mom opened a small box and placed it in front of me and asked me to open it. I thought she had brought some jewellery but to my surprise it was something extraordinary, something precious, something even money can’t buy! She had collected all the things, the tiniest of the tiniest things that I had thrown away – there were hair pins, ribbons, small buttons of my dress, toys, clips, the friendship band that I had got from my friends, greeting cards, the dresses that had torn and I had asked them to use it as spare cloth, rubber bands, the flowers that I had thrown away after cultural programs, the pens, pencils, crayons, painting box and brushes, dissection instruments, nose rings, bangles, earings, bracelets, the letters that I had written to her when I was away from her and even one of my tooth that had fallen – the list is endless. It was a box filled with memories, a box more precious that anything else in this world. She told me how she would look into that each night before sleeping so that she felt closer to her daughter. My eyes moistened on seeing that, I could not speak, I had done an unrepairable wound in my mother’s heart, but she never once complained, even now when she opened the box! I regretted – regretted for not caring for my mom, for my own selfishness, for my own happiness that I had got by suppressing my mom’s wishes and most of all not giving her my TIME – something that will never ever come back.

After a long silence she asked me “Can you be my valentine?” I was speechless! I checked the date – it was 14th February. All through my growing years I had celebrated this day with friends, enjoyed a lot, I had got many gifts too but never once had I thought that my mom could become my Valentine! How wrong I was!

As my eyes filled with tears, mom’s face blurred. I realized what true meaning of Valentine was. All I could say was a simple “YES!” - And it was forever the best Valentine’s Day for me – for life!

7 comments:

  1. Lovely :') Maybe this is what love is all about ..Happy Valentines Day to you Stranger :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. arent you the cutest son ever!!!!!
    Your Mother is lucky..
    Lots of love!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 3rd prize and for this ??

    I love my mother very much and this story made me laugh :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Couldn't relate what so ever.

    I love my parents ofcourse, but still....

    Okay now I'm successfully depressed :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. @TOSM - Hey m sooo sorry.. something was wrong with posting the comments. Anyway, happy belated valentine's to you too mam :) May love be always in air for you ;)

    @Mirage - Aww :) ?

    @Zeba - Hey, thanks for stopping by :)

    @ RED - :S <3

    @Raja - Didn't get your comment :P :S Anyway, thanks for stopping by , sir

    @Soumya - Oops.. Cheer up :D it's just a story :) I am sure you are a proud daughter of your mother ;)

    ReplyDelete