Saturday, October 23, 2010

The Interview Drama ! :D

Worst day of my life ever! Though now I am seriously preparing for GMAT, considering the booming market in Telecom, I decided to take an interview for Samsung and Aricent. Well, I regret my decision. This is one of the very few situations where I felt like I am the dumbest creature on the earth. Samsung had a written test which I couldn't clear. No regret for this! Test was damn tough. My head was literally spinning for first 10 minutes after looking at the questions. I abused myself with every possible "self-insulting" words when I found out that I can't get around. I am glad that at least I was not the only one having this feeling. After the confirmation from dozens of other interviewees, I somehow convinced my mind that test was really tough. But worse was yet to come. Being humiliated by the test, I then headed to Aricent walk ins. Oh man, why didn't someone stop me from doing that? There were two guys who interviewed me. It went something like this


1st guy - Okay Manoj, So tell me about yourself.
Manoj - (Yawning right on his face! Not my fault, I was awake since 2 am! ) ^%%&^**@$#
Both guys stare at me!
Manoj -(What?) excuse me, I am a bit exhausted.
2nd guy - So you are working with IBM past two years huh..Your coding must be excellent!
Manoj - (Damn you, If it were excellent, I would have been taking Google's interview. Not yours! But buck up Mani, this is not a place to cry about your project's poor exposure!) Well, we don't do extensive coding but yeah, I have a fair idea about fundamentals.
2nd guy - Cool. So tell me what do you do in your project.
Manoj-(What do you think I will do for 20 K? I come to office, I chat, I wander around, I go to cafeteria ,I hopelessly stare at the new girls in our project and then I go home!) I will give you a brief overview as my module is very large and explaining it will take much time. Is it okay? Feel free to interrupt me if you need details at any point in time.
2nd guy- Sure. Go Ahead.
Manoj - blah blah blah..^%^8&*((88#%#%
1st guy -Seems interesting. Tell me more about ^%&^
Manoj - Screw you. If I knew more, I would not have offered a " brief view"!) *&^*^ is blah blah blah..
2nd guy - So Manoj, can you write a program to &^*^&$
Manoj-(Yippee. I had mugged it day before yesterday. Lucky! Now listen jerk) sure. The logic goes as follows..%$&^&^
1st guy- Can you implement it using ^%%*%& ?
Manoj - (I bet even your father does not know how to implement it that way! Thank to god son, your at the other side of the table!) -I can try.
For next 10 minutes I wrote something which was hard to decipher. Even for me! Actually I gave up as soon as he asked that question. But well, let him think that I am doing something!
2nd guy- (Frustrated after 7 minutes..) Can you do it,Manoj?
Manoj - (Dumb-ass ,hell NO, but lets see what you have got!) Seems a bit tough, I have never used this type in my coding. But I am curious to know about it. Can you please explain it to me?)
Phew..and the sides change!
2nd guy Wrote some bullshit on the paper. Anyway,I don't give a damn to what he explained. But I had to pretend as if I am willing to learn!
Manoj- hmm..ohh..yeah..didn't strike me earlier..you are right!
1st guy - So do you know UNIX?
Manoj - (I know about UNIX more than your forefathers! Glad you came to this area. Now ask whatever you want! )Yes. I have a good grasp on UNIX fundamentals.
1st guy - Okay. I will come back to it later (He never did! :() first tell me more about %$%&*
Manoj - (You are a real son of a bitch.I know you have decided not to take me in.)
I don't know.(This time I was losing my patience,so no more polite words!)
2nd guy - I thought you know c++ well.
Manoj -(I never said this, you moron. Anyway.) As I said,we don't do extensive coding. But I am willing to learn (of course if you are willing to pay me twice my salary!)
1st guy - Wrote some crap function..Can you please explain the output of this function?
Manoj - (As if I am a walking compiler !) (That was a damn tough program code he had written) hmm..well..actually..basically..I can try..give me a minute please..okay..the output will be..I don't remember the implementation..but I think..this goes here..so ...returning value will be.. (and it went on..!)
1st guy - Never mind. What about this one (wrote another program!) and this time gave me 4 options. (He must have understood,this guy is gonna suck!)
Manoj - (choose something idiot..!Do inky-pinky-ponky--!) Answer will be option 3 (Damn it, give me less salary, but don't ask "how"?) (Thankfully he dint :))
2nd guy- So tell me about possible future scope in your project!
Manoj-(If my project had a "scope", I would not have bothered to come here, you really are a jackass!) blah..&%^&$#%#%..blah..^%$^
They asked 10 more questions after that and finally decided this guy is good for nothing..(yeah, I know it, why did it take so long for you guys to figure it out? :P)
Okay Manoj, please wait outside. We will let you know the results in a while!
Manoj - (Haha. Your company is not up to my standards! I don't want your job) okay. Nice to meet you both (But for God's sake, please don't ever meet me again,or else that would be your last day on the earth)
Then I came home,without even bothering to wait for results.
Happy(?) Ending!

But one thing,I never felt so humiliated in my life before this. I was damn good at some point in time in collage, but this mba fever took me away from technical.
But after this incident, I have decided to clear a damn interview first(I don't care if I get a job or not,I just want to satisfy myself that I can do it!). Screw the GMAT. I will postpone it again, if need arises. But now I cant sleep without clearing an interview. I am starting my technical preparation. Not because I want a job (yeah..that is a reason, but the main reason is I have to convince myself that I am good at technical. Because this is the first time I was so down in my own eyes) . And frankly I cant cope with this feeling. I always did things by giving my best shots. I go to extremities in anything I do(whether it is good or bad.)
So, next one month in technical studies and I will surely make the interviewer (and of course, my attitude!) happy.

11 comments:

  1. Well, I say there is always a next time. Next time sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Roaring Gorilla - Yeah.And next time will come soon :)

    @mbarodie - true!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hehehe..I was rolling on d floor while reading this :D :D :D so any plans to kill those two guys? :P mba-technical-mba-technical--both--nothing.Imao.seems mr perfect is slowly turning into mr CONFUSED :|
    by d way,nice to see ur funny article after series of introspective/sentimental posts.
    u rock in both dear ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh poor you :) really hilarious .I always thought u can crack any interview.Dude u have guts 2 convince anyone on anything.(I am serious.)so wat went wrong? :-O
    And just one experience does not make u not worth of anything.learn from it and go ahead!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice blog! I like your writing way. I'm doing practice GMAT here: gmatonlinetest.com . I hope it's useful for GMAT test takers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. as an employee of samsung i must say thank ur stars for not having cleared the test. all the best dude.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Shiksha - screw you. I am not confused :( :( I am just not clear about wat I want to do :P
    Thanks anyway :)

    @Mahim - true.I will go ahead :) thanks for d support and confidence in me :D ;)

    @Lee - hmm..Thank you :) I tried this site few months before.Not much material to practice :|

    @Anonymous - aww..hehe.Cool. ;) thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hahaha, this was hilarious!!

    Wassup with you dude? Make up your mind soon. IT or MBA.. Don't toggle much.

    I'm sure you will clear an interview soon, but don't base your future on a single failure..

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Soumya - Hey ,Thanks for the comfort :) At least now I don't feel like a worthless brat.yeah, I will clear it soon. And some strong reasons force me to keep toggling.Will get rid of them soon :)
    Happy Diwali by d way :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yeah, Thanks! Same to you too..

    ReplyDelete